Tuesday 11 December 2012

Will the Melkman Deliver?

I remember the day I found out that the Jays signed Melky Cabrera!  It was a Friday afternoon and we just got back from Lunch.  I got back to my and noticed how the twitterverse had exploded with the news that the Jays had signed Melky!

At first I was jacked! How can you not be? We just went out and finally spent to get a free agent and one who was leading the NL in batting average before he was suspended 50 games for PED's.  I'm not sure if I was still on a high from blockbuster trade the jays did, but I thought this was a great move for the Jays.  To be honest I still did up until a few days ago.

However, I started to really look at Melky's numbers before last year and to be honest they weren't that good.  I mean they were ok, but nothing that you would normally be ridiculously excited about.


So take out last year, and you may want to take out the year before too, since you can't be sure he wasn't on anything then either, and you have a 265 hitter with no real power.

I am desperately hoping that Melky has turned the page and the last two year's are a better representation of what he is capable of,  i'm just not as sure right now as I was last week!

The good news is that Melky has something to prove!  He has got to know that he is going to be looked at that much critically the upcoming year and he has a real chance to silence any possible detractors by having a bounce back year.  And even better, his contract is only for two years, meaning when its done, he'll only be 30 years old and will still have the chance for a major pay day if he comes out and dominates for two years!

So do I think the Melkman will delivery? Time will tell, but I think it's in his best interest to make sure he does!




No comments:

Post a Comment