Tuesday 2 April 2013

Toronto Blue Jays - My Season Preview


Ok so it's now roughly 20 hours or so before the Blue Jays take the field to start their 2013 Season and like most Toronto Blue Jay fans I am anxiously awaiting what may end up being the most exciting year for the Blue Jays since 1993.  In a much talked about off-season we are finally here April 2nd, 2013. Arguably the most anticipated season opener for the Toronto Blue Jays since April 7th, 1977.  In an off-season where the club probably had some it's lowest lows and some of it's highest highs RA Dickey is going to be taking to the mound and letting his famous Knuckleball fly to open up the Blue Jays Season. 




So no doubt you've probably read a million prediction/preview pieces already either about the MLB in general or maybe even just a AL East preview.  So in the spirit of doing what every body else is doing I will also put my two cents in and offer my take in a Toronto Blue Jays Season preview.....


(Great Video on the youtube machine that I found, check it out if you like cool stuff)

Let's start this off with an overview of the 25 man Jays Roster. 

Starting Pitchers
RA Dickey
Brandon Morrow
Mark Buehrle
Josh Johnson
JA Happ
Bullpen :
Casey Janssen
Sergio Santos
Darren Oliver
Steve Delabar
Aaron Loup
Esmil Rogers
Brett Cecil
Jeremy Jeffress
Catchers:
JP Arencibia
Henry Blanco
Infileders:
Jose Reyes
Adam Lind
Maicer Izturis
Mark Derosa
Outfielders:
Jose Bautista
Melky Cabrera
Colby Rasmus
Emilio Bonifacio
Rajai Davis
Designated Hitter:
Edwin Encarnacio



In total 11 new faces to the Toronto Blue Jays roster.  Talk about a overhaul.  It's important to note that Brett Lawrie the ever loved Canadian 3rd baseman is on the 15 day DL and should be returning to the Jays line-up near the end of the 2nd Jays series.  This ultimately will leave an interesting decision to be made on who will come off the 25 man roster to make room for him.  In my opinion I think it's going to be either Jeffress or Cecil.  If you would have asked me 1 month or so ago I would have said it would have been Loup to go down to Buffalo, but I finally came to a clear conclusion that the Jays want to have the best bullpen possible and at this time no matter how you look at it if you want to have that best team possible, it means that Aaron Loup is in your Bullpen everyday. 

So with all that being said from top to bottom the Blue Jays should have one of the most competitive rosters in recent Jays memory.   


The current everyday  line-up (Once Lawrie is healthy) should look as follows. 

1. Jose Reyes SS
2. Melky Cabrera LF

3. Jose Bautista RF
4. Edwin Encarnacion 1B
5. Adam Lind DH
6. JP Arencibis C
7. Brett Lawrie 3B
8. Colby Rasmus CF
9. Emlion Bonifacio 2B



This line-up is a mixture of Speed & Power.  Up and down this line-up the Jays have multiple weapons that not only can change a game, but also put it out of reach for their opponents.  The addition of multiple switch hitters to this line-up is a perk that I don`t think a Jays line-up has had in recent years.  With a bench of Iztruis, Davis, Blanco and Derosa the Jays will have a number of great compliments that can step in offer a number of great options to an already great line-up. 

The starting rotation will look as follows.

RA Dickey RHP
Brandon Morrow RHP
Mark Buehrle LHP
Josh Johnson  RHP
JA Happ LHP



What a difference a year makes.  Only 1 starting pitcher of the 2012 rotation remains and I love the different looks that this rotation offers.  The versatility in different pitching styles should keep opposing hitters off balance from day to day and keep Managers guessing on how to build an effective line-up from one game to the next. In addition to these great options the Jays also have some depth in Starting Pitching as Ricky Romero will be in Double A Dunedin to star the year and offer another option is anything may happen to rotation.



The bullpen offers some of the most questions regarding the Jays, but as it stands right now Casey Janssen will be the Closer with Darren Olive, Steve Delabar and Sergio Santos working in a set-up role.  The other pieces within the bullpen may end up being some question marks.  Rogers, Cecil, Loup & Jeffress all need to prove themselves and in a season that has so much is expected of fit, so don't be surprised if someone get's off to a slow start the they see themselves in Buffalo or on another team.



We also must not forget the new Coaching Staff.  Now at the helm of our Toronto Blue Jays we have the Manager John Gibbons. A throw back if you will, Mr. Gibbons as we all know Managed the Jays from 2004 to 2008 and was pretty much the lame duck in a year where the team under achieved in a stacked AL East.  Joining Gibbons to Coach the Blue Jays are  DeMarlo Hale (bench coach), Chad Mottola (hitting coach), Dwayne Murphy (first base coach) Luis Rivera (third base coach) Pete Walker (pitching coach) and Pat Hentgen (Bullpen Coach). 



Alex Anthopoulos went to town on this team this off-season and definitely made a lot of big moves that changed a ball club that was looking for a new direction and leadership. Now all we have to do is start playing games. 

So what would my season preview be without some predictions?  ummmm a season preview without any predictions I guess.....Anyway here is how I think some of my personal burning questions will play out. 

Who will be playing 2nd Base?  - If you've read my posts you know i'm a big supporter of Emilio Bonifaco and I'm confident that with all the tools that Bonifacio brings to the table that we'll see him playing 2nd more than Iztruis.  I don't have anything against Macier, I just think that Bonifacio has great game breaking ability with his bat & his speed that you can't afford not to have him in your line-up from day to day. 

Who will get sent down when Lawrie is healthy? - This is a toss up for me between Cecil and Jeffress. Both are out of options and both have not been able to show any type of consistency over the past year or so.  If I had to choose I think it will be Jeffress.  Cecil to me has a little bit more of an upside in that after this year Oliver may be retiring and the Jays will be in need of a LHP out of the bullpen.  

How many stolen bases will the Jays end up with?  - This team is fast!  Plain and simple, I don't think there is a team in the MLB that can come close to the speed that this team possesses.  With a possible line-up that includes top speedsters like Reyes, Bonifacio, Davis and Lawrie and others with good speed like Rasmus, Encarnacion, Izturis and Cabrera I can see this team having roughly 150 stolen bases at season end.   I know this is just a thought right now, but is Gose ends up with the big clubs the team would be scary on the bases. 

Will Dickey be able to repeat his CY Young form? - In a word Yes!  I don't think he'll get as many W's in the AL East, but I think coupled with playing in a few Knuckle ball friendly parks (Roger's Center & The Trop) and the opposing hitters unfamiliarity with him he'll be able to have another great season.

Will Jose Bautista be his old self? - Again Yes.  Jose has looked good this spring, has shown no real effects of his mid season surgery and has brought that same attitude to the batters circle that made him one of the most feared hitters in all of baseball. 

Is John Gibbons the right Manager for the Blue Jays? - Yet again Yes.  I always liked Gibby and enjoy what he brings to the team.  Now I in now way am close enough to ever know what goes on behind closed doors, but from what i've seen and read I think he compliments the personalities that AA has put together.  


How many Wins will the Team have after 162 games? - In the uber competitive AL East I think the Toronto Blue Jays will finish the season with 91 wins and finish 1st in the AL East.  Yes it's a big jump from where they finished last year, but this is a different team.  Obviously injuries happen, but the way this team is built with speed and a re-tooled bullpen I think they can find a number of ways to win tight games that they didn't last year.

I could go on forever on these, but i'm going to leave it at that for now......



Couple last things before I sign off.. I wanted to give a big thumbs up to all the Media, Bloggers & whoever else is doing anything regarding covering the Jays this year.  I am super pumped for the upcoming season and I think alot of that has to do with all the great coverage that we as Jays fans have had this off-season.  Baseball has become the talk of the city again, sure the Leafs will always be #1, but I can't say enough for the great articles i've read or the amazing interviews i've listened to over the past 6 months.  It's really made being a Jays a great and enlightening experience. To that, I know they have a vested interest in the Team, but Sportsnet and Roger's media have really stepped up their game and will/are providing a great fan experience for all of us who want to follow the Jays. I am however a little bitter than Dirk Hayhurst didn't get the Color commentator job at the Fan.  I really enjoy what he brings to the Sportsnet team and was hoping I get to hear more of it.  Good news is that he will be a big part of Baseball Central going forward. 

So as I finish up here, i'm going to reiterate how excited I am for the year to start and obviously anything can happen over a 162 games, but as a Jays fan I think i'm most excited to just the ride!  

Go Jays Go!







No comments:

Post a Comment