Monday 25 January 2016

Thoughts from a guy who likes Baseball.....Field Trip to the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame!

Back on January 16th I was lucky enough to get guided tour of the Canadian Baseball hall of Fame in St. Marys with it's Director Scott Crawford.  For a guy who loves baseball like I do, I felt like a kid in a candy store with sauce pan eyes on Christmas morning for those few hours on that cold Saturday morning.



I can't really explain why I enjoy baseball as much as I do, but I do know that one of the things that I cherish is the history that is ever entangled within it.   It's easy to go through the History of baseball and understand why it's considered "America's Past Time", but for Canadians who love the game it's important to realize that within our boarders the game has had it's own rich history. If you ever have the chance to visit the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame in St. Marys you need to!

Here are my top 5 (no particular order) favorite things I saw at the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame!


  • Home Plate from the 93 World Series -   So cool.  I can't imagine that I was the 1st person to put their foot on the plate, but I felt like a bad ass doing so!

  • Tom Henke's Plaque -  Tom Henke was my idol when I was 7 years old.  When I started playing baseball I was a pitcher and I threw harder than all the other kids so for some reason my 1st coach always called me "The Terminator".   I guess this really just brought me back to being a kid! 

  • Lucky Toonie Under the Mound -  I guess the guy who is in charge of Marketing for the Blue Jays and the Grounds Crew from this past year were intuitive enough to place a lucky Toonie under the mound at the start of the season in 2015 and then it was donated to the HOF.  It was pretty neat to see how beat up it got over the course of the year.
  • Babe Ruth Corner -  Most people don't realize that "The Babe" had a connection to baseball in Canada so it was awesome to see a little area in the hall dedicated to Ruth.  Best thing was they actually had a replica of a Ruth Bat just to feel what it was like.  Let me tell you...I have no clue how he didn't throw a shoulder out by swinging a 54 ounce bat around. 

  • Picture of Toronto Maple Leaf Stadium -  I love old stadiums and even seeing a picture of what it would have been like to watch baseball in a place like it gives me chills.  



There is so much history in the Hall that I couldn't possibly talk about all the cool things that pack the walls!  The 5 things above are simply the things that stood out to me the most. One of the most incredible aspects of this museum is that no matter who goes to visit, no matter how old/young, no matter their baseball knowledge, they will find something to connect with.  This is truly an inspiring place to visit. 

Here are a few more picture from the trip!

 

I need to say Thank you to Scott at the HOF for taking the time out of your weekend to let us wander around and ask many questions that i'm sure you've been asked before! Your hospitality was greatly appreciated. 

The trip actually wouldn't have been possible without my extremely thoughtful and loving Wife who once again went above and beyond to get me the perfect Christmas present.  Amy you never cease to amaze!  ##1WIFEEVER #REALMVP

No comments:

Post a Comment