Tuesday 4 December 2012

Toronto Blue Jays 2013 Line-Up

I was thinking I was going to end up writing something today about the winter meetings, but to be quite honest i'm kinda bored by the whole thing so far!

Jays fans were truly spolied with the the whirlwind of Jays news a few weeks back and AA has done nothing  but downplay any possible moves at this week's meeting, so instead of talking about how bored I am, i'm going to lay out what I think the Jays batting order will be on April 2nd when they take on the Cleveland Indians.

Here we go!

1. Jose Reyes - SS
2. Melky Cabrera - LH
3. Jose Bautista - RH
4. Edwin Encarnacion -1B
5.Adam Lind - DH
6. Brett Lawrie - 3B
7. Colby Rasmus - CF
8. JP Arencibia - C
9. Emilio Bonifacio - 2B

The line-up itself is really exciting.  I can't remember a line-up with this much speed ever on a Jays team and to boot there are 3 switch hitters in it.   Having this much speed is going to really show it's value when it forces opposing pitchers to throw more fastballs to guys like Jose Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion & Adam Lind.

I really like finally having a leadoff hitter in Reyes. Lawrie did a good job last year at the top of the line-up, but let's be honest all of Lawrie's assets make him more valuable lower in the line-up.

My only real hesitation with the whole line-up, which I think I share with alot of other Jays fans is Rasmus.  Last year he showed signs of everything we thought he could be.  Great power and was scoring quite a bit.  That was however with a healthy Jose Bautista hitting behind him.  As soon as Joey Bats went down so did Rasmus's numbers.  Having him hit lower in the line-up may be good as it's taking some pressure off, but t could also be an issue with him having less protection around him resulting in less fastballs to drive.

The bench currently looks like it will be Izturiz, Davis, Buck and ______.   I love it so far, obviously there is still one spot open, but it has speed, defence, and some good numbers against LH pitching.  I'd love to see them add a Veteran Bat to come off the bench who is just a lefty killer, maybe someone like Ty Wigginton..

Anyways that's how I see it playing out right now......Who knows maybe the Jays are able to make a few additional moves that may make the line-up even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment