Tuesday 8 January 2013

RA Dickey Press Conference - An Introduction to Toronto

Today the Toronto Sports media was introduced to the latest addition to the Toronto Blue Jays...  RA Dickey.  I didn't get the chance to watch the press conference live, but I did watch the entire thing after the fact and also listened to him on PTS and I think the city is really going to love this guy!



All too often as sports fans are treated to athlete interviews that you can pretty much predict exactly what is going to be said.  They are filled with cliche and cliche and offer no real substance. I didn't see that today,  I saw an athlete who was extremely genuine and offered substance in each of his answers.

I'll admit (Like most Jays fans) I did a number of Google searches on RA before and after the trade to get a read on him and was impressed on what I found about him.  It was not until today that I realized that he has the chance to something special in this city!  The commitment and dedication that he seems to already have is something we haven't seem a lot recently from a sports personality and that is  going to buy him a lot of fans. If he comes out and has a decent year we could have a folk hero if he keeps on showing the love.

All too often have Jays fans have felt snubbed by players considering us a second class destination and to have a CY Young award winner to come along and show as much love for our city as he has, it could benexactly what we need to feel better about yourselves as a MLB market.

I mean for real.....Who told him to talk about Joe Carter?  Who told him to say "I look forward to being a Canadian for 6 months"? Who told him to let everyone know how much he was interested in becoming a part of the community and donating the max possible to the Jays Care foundation?  This guy is smart and i'm already a fan!

Go Jays Go!

- Side note... Do you think he's tired of showing people how he throws a Knickleball?

No comments:

Post a Comment