The week in Jays Nation started out quiet and left with a "HOLY SHAT...we got Josh Donaldson"
5 thoughts on the week that was..... here you go!
1. The Blue Jays released their 2015 promotional schedule. Lots and Lots of great stuff to help elongate line-ups on Sunday mornings all through the summer.
Highlight 1. The Bell, Barfield & Moseby bobblehead. Ummm yeah that's amazing. Who wouldn't want that? Probably anyone born after 1985 maybe?
Highlight 2. On April 19th, there is a Jose Bautista Bobblehead night, but in addition to this...... After the game any Amateur baseball team can have their picture taken on field. Amazing.... and I have already sent an email to my softball team.
To see a complete list of the promotions for 2015...See the link below.
2. A report came out from Buster Olney saying that Melky Cabrera would rather sign with a team other than the Jays due to the team still playing on artificial turf! Cue the Shat Storm....Soon after the rumor came out Melky's Agent was on the Fan 590 saying Melky never said that, Soon after that Melky sent out a Tweet refuting the statement and then after that Jose Bautista ripped into the original tweet giving writers shit for saying info publicly that could have an effect on a free agents signing. Pretty crazy chain of events...Whatever really....I would probably rather play on grass too, but let's be serious Melky is going to sign with whatever team gives him the best deal regardless of the surface he's playing on.
3. Friday Night we had the latest MLB blockbuster that saw the Blue Jays trade Brett Lawrie, Sean Nolin, Kendall Graveman and Franklin Barreto to the Oakland Athletics for All-Star Josh Donaldson. I've said much to this trade already, but let's be real... If you don't like this trade for baseball reasons than you suck! Sure some of the Guys could turn out to be stars and help the Athletics win multiple pennants, but the reality is that they won't. The road to the MLB is littered with players who were can't miss prospects and if you can get an MVP candidate for some lower end prospects you do it.
4. Late Sunday night Ken Rosenthal tweeted out that the Blue Jays were interested in Alberto Callaspo as a buy low option for 2nd base. I can't say really see it as that much more of an upgrade over Macier Izturis. I guess the possibility of having an offensive resurgence hitting at the Dome is possible, but that being said I really don't know what his defense is like, so i'm not sure I see the reasoning with signing Callaspo. What do I know...I'm not be paid to make make these decisions.
5. Word out from Alex Anthopolous himself on Sunday was that the Jays are out on any of the high end Bullpen talent that is available in Free Agency. From my POV, this only makes sense. Long term deals the like of Andrew Miller and David Robertson are going to get rarely have staying power for bullpen guys. I'm not sure why that is, but my assumption is that after a guy has a breakout year in the pen it's only a matter of time before the league is able to watch enough film and figure them out. If that's the case then it's really not that difficult to figure it out since I figured it out.
That being said I do believe the Jays were in on Andrew Miller and were trying to get it done early in the hope of getting to sign quick and get as much value as possible, but as the off-season went on more and more teams got into the race and killed any value that the Jays possibly saw in him.